Seaford Truck Accident Lawyers Making a Difference
Help for those injured in accidents with tractor-trailers in Delaware
When you get behind the wheel in Seaford and throughout the state, you might be headed to the office, the supermarket, or for a little getaway. For some people, however, getting behind the wheel is their job. Many commercial truck drivers spend hours on the road, shuttling their cargo back and forth, day after day.
Their livelihood depends on how much cargo they can move, as safely and efficiently as possible. And, for the most part, tractor-trailer drivers are professional and safe. Others, however, may cut corners or push physical or mechanical limits, leading to driver fatigue or vehicle breakdowns. When these truck drivers don’t take the proper amount of care behind the wheel, it can lead to tragic accidents. Silverman, McDonald & Friedman is here to help you secure the compensation you need after you’ve been injured in a collision with a commercial truck.
Truck accidents are different than other accidents
With trucks, the damage is typically more severe than car accidents, the injuries more serious, and—from a legal standpoint—the stakes can be much higher.
Eighteen-wheelers are much heavier and taller than passenger cars and trucks. They take longer to brake and slow down, and are at more risk for rolling over. If involved in a collision or accident with a car, a car can suffer serious damage or even slide under the truck, with catastrophic results.
Injuries resulting from truck accidents tend to be more grievous than those from passenger vehicle crashes. Often, these wrecks can leave victims with debilitating injuries, facing the prospect of long-term medical and rehabilitative care. This can mean high medical bills and lost wages from time off work.
Another difference from car accidents is that truck accidents usually involve the victim dealing with large trucking companies. These companies are armed with attorneys and insurance companies—an unfair fight for an injured victim who is simply trying to recover.
The attorneys at Silverman, McDonald & Friedman advocate for Seaford truck accident victims. We take up the fight for you against trucking and insurance companies to seek the compensation you deserve. When an accident is this serious, you need serious and trusted representation. We can help.
Types of compensation for truck accident victims
When you or a loved one are injured in a tractor-trailer accident, you have enough on your mind dealing with your injuries. You shouldn’t have to worry about medical bills and financial issues on top of trying to cope with the stress of an accident that wasn’t your fault. A truck accident claim is a way to seek compensation for your suffering and begin to move on.
Often, the effects of an accident can last much longer than after the wreck is cleaned up and the vehicle is repaired. Some patients will live with their injuries for the rest of their lives. As a victim of another’s negligence, you may seek compensation for things like:
- Past, current, and future medical bills
- Loss of wages and future employment
- Pain and suffering
Your truck accident attorney will prove why the driver or trucking company was negligent, and how much compensation you deserve. It’s likely the insurance company for the other side will argue these numbers, as their job is to pay out as little as possible. The personal injury lawyers at Silverman, McDonald & Friedman fights for you to ensure you secure fair compensation—an amount that allows you to heal both financially and emotionally from your accident.
Common truck accident injuries
After a Seaford truck accident, it’s advisable to file a claim if you suffered an injury or lost property in a way that’s harmed or altered your life. The severity of your injuries will typically affect the amount of compensation you’d potentially receive. Common injuries from 18-wheeler accidents include:
- Broken and fractured bones
- Spinal cord injuries
- Head and brain injuries
- Wrongful death
Common causes of truck accidents in Seaford
For a successful claim, you and your lawyer need to show that the trucking company or driver were negligent in their duties. This could mean they acted irresponsibly, and those actions—or lack of actions—led to your injuries or the death of your loved one.
Unfortunately, there’s a wide variety of ways that irresponsible truck drivers and companies can cut corners and cause a tragedy to occur. Following are just a few examples:
- Driver error. Most accidents, whether passenger vehicle or truck, are caused by driver error. And accidents can also be caused by automobile drivers underestimating the dangers of sharing the road with large trucks.
- Truck driver fatigue. Studies show drowsy driving is as dangerous as drunk driving. Although there are federal regulations in place to make sure truck drivers get a certain amount of sleep during each shift, some drivers still drive while overtired and inattentive.
- Distracted driving. Just like everyone else, truckers cannot use cellphones behind the wheel. However, sometimes drivers will ignore this law, with terrible consequences.
- Driving under the influence. It’s clear that drunk driving is extremely dangerous to everyone on the road. However, drugged driving is also a significant problem, with some drivers taking stimulants like amphetamines to stay awake behind the wheel. Unfortunately, these drugs negatively affect a driver’s judgement.
- Inadequate maintenance and inspection. When a vehicle isn’t properly inspected or maintained, it can malfunction or break down at any time—putting it at risk for an accident.
- Poor training. There’s currently a truck driver shortage in the United States, and more unscrupulous companies may attempt to fill that shortage with drivers who aren’t properly trained in safe driving and procedures.
Truck accidents aren’t just more severe than other accidents; their cases are more complex. With over 100 years of combined experience, our lawyers have what it takes to go up against the trucking and insurance companies to level the playing field. An accident with a tractor-trailer can be terrifying and stressful, and we will seek justice on your behalf, so you can focus on the more important things.
The Seaford truck accident law firm that works for you
At Silverman, McDonald & Friedman, we fight the insurance companies, so you don’t have to. If you or someone you love suffered injuries in a truck accident that wasn’t your fault, we can help you seek compensation for your losses and damages. Contact us today to talk about your claim. Call us at 302-888-2900 or fill out our contact form to set up a free consultation in our Seaford office. We also maintain offices in Wilmington and Newark, Delaware.