Experienced Delaware Wrongful Death Lawyers Handling Complex Fatal Accident Claims
Protecting Delaware clients’ rights from offices in Wilmington, Newark and Seaford, DE
Fatal accidents happen around the country every single day. Car accidents, falls, fires: these are the types of accidents we expect to be fatal – or, at least, we are less surprised when we hear of them. When you hear the story on the news, though, about the driver whose seatbelt failed to save him because he weighed more than 171 lbs., or the child who died of carbon monoxide poising because the alarm failed to go off, or the death of a traveler who fell off of a landing or ridge because the guardrail failed to hold, you might wonder if there is any recourse available to the families of these fatal accident victims.
The sudden and unexpected death of a loved one in a fatal accident can have a devastating impact on your life. At such an emotional time, you must have competent legal representation so that you can focus on grieving your loss and caring for your family while an experienced wrongful death attorney shoulders the legal challenge of obtaining compensation for your losses. At Silverman, McDonald & Friedman, our thoughtful attorneys provide comprehensive legal services to make sure that the party who is responsible for the tragic and untimely death of your loved is held accountable for their actions.
Investigating the cause of fatal accidents
There are many different causes of accidents that can cause fatalities due to the negligent actions of others including:
- Motor vehicle accidents. One of the most common causes of accidental death in the United States is motor vehicle accidents. Whether the cause is drunk, drowsy or distracted driving, or as egregious as vehicular manslaughter, when your loved one’s death was caused by the senseless negligence of another, we can help make sure that you obtain justice on their behalf.
- Construction accidents. Whether your relative was killed in a construction accident (as a worker or as a bystander) at the construction site, you may be able to take legal action against the construction company. We can advise you of your legal options given the facts of your specific case.
- Products liability. If a defective product, piece of machinery or equipment was responsible for a fatal accident, we will hold the responsible parties liable and make sure you get the compensation you deserve for your loss. We protect you when manufacturers fail to warn you about potential hazards, too.
- Transportation accidents. If your loved one lost his or her life in a train, bus or airplane accident, our competent Delaware wrongful death attorneys will investigate the accident and make certain that the responsible party is held accountable.
- Toxic chemicals/environment. Anyone who keeps cleaners, fertilizers and pesticides in their homes or garage comes in contact with toxic chemicals. But did you know that a malfunctioning furnace can give off deadly amount of carbon monoxide, or that the generator you bought to make sure you do not go without power during a storm can too?
- Household fires. About 7 people die in household fires every day. Kitchen fires are the number one culprit, but hat same generator we just talked about needs to cool down before you refill it, or could catch fire. If an appliance malfunctions, if you weren’t warned about the potential dangers, if your fire extinguisher fails to work or your smoke detector does not go off – all of these might be actionable fatal accident claims.
Making claims after fatal accidents in Delaware
Delaware state law includes wrongful acts that cause the death of another which would have entitled the party to file an injury claim and recover damages had they not died. Those qualified by law to be beneficiaries of the deceased may file a wrongful death claim and seek damages for economic and non-economic losses. Economic damages are the ones that affect your wallet, and are determined by seeing what the monetary cost of the fatal accident was to your family; non-economic damages are the ones that affect you and your family on a more emotional (and therefore subjective) level. Our Delaware fatal accident lawyers can help you with a claim for:
- Medical expenses
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Lost wages
- Loss of consortium for a spouse
- Loss of inheritance
- Property damage
Punitive damages may be available in some cases, when the at-fault party can be proven to have acted with intentional, malicious, or outrageous conduct with reckless indifference for the rights of others. They are difficult to prove, however, without the help of a skilled Delaware fatal accident attorney – and even then, you may not always be able to make a claim. This is because punitive damages (in a nutshell) are meant to punish a wrongdoer, not help a survivor.
Do not try to take on the medical bills, the funeral expenses and all of the other final expenses on your own when our civil justice system provides a remedy for those who have lost a loved one due to another party’s negligence. At Silverman McDonald & Friedman, we have decades of experience in wrongful death claims, and we provide you with sensitive, personable client service for your wrongful death suit.
Contact our compassionate wrongful death attorneys who will represent your best interests
When you have lost a loved one in a fatal accident in Delaware, the sympathetic fatal accident lawyers at Silverman, McDonald & Friedman will protect your legal rights and seek a fair settlement award on your behalf. You may call to schedule your initial consultation at 302-888-2900 or fill out our quick contact form. From our offices in Wilmington, Newark, and Seaford we serve clients throughout Delaware.