Road Rash and other Burns from Motorcycle Accidents in Delaware
Experienced personal injury attorneys serving Wilmington, Newark & Seaford, DE
Road rash is a colloquial term to describe a type of burn injury that motorcycle riders can get after a crash in the areas where their skin has been scraped across the asphalt on the road. Road rash can be quite painful due to the scraping away of skin that exposes nerve endings. It can also pose more of a threat if the wounds become infected. The motorcycle accident attorneys at the law firm of Silverman, McDonald & Friedman understand that when you sustain road rash and other burn injuries after an accident, you need the advocacy and protection of a seasoned legal team that knows how to get results for our injured clients. We protect your rights and fight for the maximum compensation possible. With offices in Wilmington, Newark and Seaford, DE, our attorneys are always close by when you need us most.
Motorcycle road rash degrees
Road rash is one of the more common injuries that can occur after a motorcycle accident. The skin abrasions from a motorcycle accident will vary in degrees, not unlike the way thermal burns are categorized. Treatment for road rash can range from cleaning and bandaging the wound at home to requiring medical attention to help prevent infections. The three degrees of severity for road rash burns include:
- First degree road rash will have tender, red skin with minor scraping. This would require cleaning the affected area and applying anointment.
- Second degree road rash will have scraped, broken skin and some bleeding. It can be treated similarly to a first degree road rash with careful attention to dressing the wound to prevent scarring of the skin.
- Third degree road rash occurs when the wound penetrates all of the layers of skin and reaches the fat layers under the skin. This far more painful and severe degree of road rash requires medical treatment right away to ward off the possibility of infection. Surgery may be required to repair the skin.
Burn injuries from motorcycle accidents
Thermal burn injuries are common after a motorcycle accident when there has been a fire, or the skin is exposed to chemicals or metal parts on the bike which have become hot. Burn injuries can vary in severity from injuring the top layer of the skin to penetrating the layers of skin, fat, muscle and down to the bone.
Complications from burn injuries can range from infection of the wound to sepsis, which is an infection that affects the entire body. As burns heal that can cause scarring and disfigurement. Some burn wounds are so severe that they require amputation of the affected limb. The U.S. National Library of Medicine classifies three levels of burns:
- First degree burns damage only the outermost layer of skin causing pain, redness and swelling.
- Second degree burns penetrate to the underlying layers of skin causing pain, redness swelling and blistering.
- Third degree burns penetrate and destroy all the layers of skin. Oddly, these more severe burns are less painful because the nerve endings have been destroyed.
Some medical groups classify burns through fourth and fifth degrees, but the chances of surviving with burns that severe are almost impossible.
What a Delaware motorcycle accident attorney can do
Our task as motorcycle accident attorneys is to make sure that you get the maximum amount of compensation when you have been injured by road rash and other burns after an accident caused by another person’s negligence. We protect your rights from the big, insurance company attorneys who want to make sure that you receive as little compensation as they can get away with. We intervene on your behalf investigating the accident, determining who is at fault and making sure that they are held responsible. Whether you settle or litigate, the following damages may be available:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Diminished earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
At Silverman, McDonald & Friedman, we accept cases on a contingency fee basis, which means that if we do not win compensation for your injuries, you do not pay us any attorney’s fees.
Schedule a free consultation today with one of our knowledgeable motorcycle accident attorneys
If you have suffered road rash or other burns from a motorcycle accident caused by the negligence of another motorist, we can help make sure that the negligent party is held accountable. We work diligently to obtain the compensation you deserve for your injuries. You may contact the attorneys of Silverman, McDonald & Friedman for a free consultation. Please complete our contact form or call us at 302-888-2900 to schedule a case review. We have offices serving clients throughout Delaware in Newark, Wilmington, and Seaford.